Sunday, July 10, 2016

When Dad Didn't Turn 85


Samuel H. Reeves, Sr
July 10, 1929 - February 18, 2010



Just before 1 AM, hours before I went to bed, I looked at the date and remembered what today was. I found a picture of him and posted it to a few social media sites so I could say, “Happy birthday, Dad.”  Now, after I have had some sleep, I wonder whether I was doing that for attention.

It’s odd that every few minutes or so, I stop thinking about him.  I actually forget that it has been six years. Then, there are the other times....

I usually make several trips to the bathroom on this day. Not because I drank too much water. I’m hiding so my wife and son don’t have to see me randomly stop moving for minutes at a time, because I have been buffeted with a new and concentrated form of paralysis that makes me re-live, “I think we just lost Dad.”

I guess there is a reason I posted this too. I don’t know why yet, though. If I am going to be audacious enough to call myself a writer, then I know at least that our heads are less useful for figuring things out than is a blank page.

3 comments:

  1. I think we just need others to remember with us sometimes. It's always nice to hear stories I didn't know or even ones I know well. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Happy Birthday to your daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we just need others to remember with us sometimes. It's always nice to hear stories I didn't know or even ones I know well. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Happy Birthday to your daddy!

    ReplyDelete