Friday, June 20, 2014

Work in Progress, Progress



Today marks exactly one month since I decided to start maintaining a consistent daily word count.  That is the longest I have ever gone without at least taking a day off. I have been tempted several times, but so far so good.

I started with a very modest 250 words per day goal. Sometimes writers sabotage themselves by tackling a goal that causes them to burn out quickly. I thought that 250 words was easily do-able for a couple of weeks, which is what I have heard is the length of time required to build a habit. After that, I began increasing my daily word count by 125 words per week. Ultimately, I hope to hit at least 2000 words per day.

Many people write far more than that. Some produce 5000, 10,000, and more. If I can manage more, great. I want to take it one step at a time though. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Or, as a man I once knew often said, “Aim for one percent better per day.”

I might be jinxing myself for posting the progress on my horror novel, but here is the meter so far.



No comments:

Post a Comment