Sunday, October 11, 2015

Headless Rescue



Life in General...

There is not a lot to talk about today, because this was a rest-up the day from a busy week.

We all got up at our usual times. The wife went to the store to buy groceries. I talked with some old friends on the Internet. Well, chatted.

My son has been sick since last night. Poor little fellow has been coughing all night, all day. Low-grade fever.

I washed a load of towels but my back painfully disagreed and sent me to bed until I learned my lesson.

In between times, I wrote.

Oh I forgot to tell you, Friday night, just seconds after we got back from the hospital (we had just closed the front door, in fact) some neighborhood kids decided to run up to our door and give it a good hard kick. I went back outside and saw one of them hiding around the corner of the next house. He saw me, screamed, and ran. I suppose that was his version of Ding Dong Ditch. Regardless, it frightened my son and made my wife a little nervous, so I sat on the front porch for a while. Nothing else happened except giggles in the distance.

It did however bring me to take one measure. On our front porch by the door stands the Headless Duck. He used to be a yard ornament at a house I lived in during my early 20s. He was there when we moved in and already missing his head. After a tornado erased that house, I rescued him. Now, he's a kind of weather rock and sentry and all-around legend among our friends and family. He is probably not even a duck (a goose, maybe) and he might not even be a he. How is he going to know? He doesn't have a head. Regardless, he has been in the family for about 20 years. He's appeared in several of my stories. You might even find him on this blog. Anyway, I couldn't let some neighborhood prankster steal him or break something else from him.

He sits on our living room now. I guess that makes him a concrete house pet.

The Headless Duck


The Writing and Current Projects...

Butt-in-the-chair produced a better word count today but still not within a parsec of "pulp speed," as Dean Wesley Smith calls it. I'll take it though.  Chapter 2 of the Alaskan fantasy is a little farther than the halfway point.

The scene is rough draft. No outline. I don't know whether I will keep it or not, but I won't make that decision until the book is done. That way, I will know better how everything fits together and what gets tossed into the file of irrelevant discovery tangents.

Today's sessions did reinforce that I should just trust in the process. I did not like the scene, but I just kept typing the next word and the next. Eventually, I asked myself, "How could this situation be worse?" The same situation but worse.

That was enough to make me curious as to what would happen next.


Word counts for Saturday, Oct 10, 2015...

Fiction = 718
Blog = 551


Monthly totals for October 2015...

Fiction = 1,006
Blog = 2,808


MANUSCRIPT TOTAL COUNTS...

Alaskan fantasy = 7,982
Missouri horror novel = 3,679



No comments:

Post a Comment