Saturday, October 10, 2015

Ain't Nuthin' But a Thing, Hardrock



Life in General...

The last line I wrote in my dad's eulogy was "...because he was five-ten, hazel eyed, and bulletproof." The same could be said for my nephew, except his eyes are blue. I often look up to him and not just because he is an inch taller.

Mike is one of those people that I can't bring myself to tell him, "I have a headache." At times, Mike lives far, far beyond the threshold of pain of the average mortal. What makes my heart wrench is to hear how calm he stays at the checking-into-the-hospital times. The nurse breaks the news to him. She speaks slowly about what will happen, her tone hushed and an apocalyptic look upon her face. Mike shrugs and says, "Eh. I've done this before."

I know, I know. He has undergone this scenario over and over since he was 17 hours and 40 minutes old. A week ago, he celebrated his twentieth birthday. But people were never meant to become used to the thought of brain surgery.

And it is easy to despise the ER doctors and nurses when another bout rolls around of almost daily visits to the hospital for two weeks and repeatedly receiving one misdiagnosis after another. It is not a sinus infection. Nor is it a migraine. We don't care if the shunt has not moved. We all know what this is. We have been through it before.

Truth is though that the medical staff is just doing their jobs and not jumping to the nuclear solution. Besides, how often do they see someone with a hydrocephalus and Dandy Walker Malformation?

Huh. Yeah.

Mike's tough. He calmly lets them play out the script until the doctor finally says, "Okay, let's schedule surgery."

I imagine Mike sitting around the hospital ward like it is the county jail. 

Patient One:  "What chu in for?"

Patient Two:  "Migraine." To the next bed he asks, "You?"

Patient Three (whispering):  "Laryngitis."

Patient One:  "How 'bout chu, Hardrock?"

Mike:  "This  . . ."



Part of me looks at him and cringes, because that's gotta hurt.  Then, there is part of me that thinks, "Damn, he looks bad ass."

He even mentioned something about going back to college and work on Monday.  The day after tomorrow!

Bulletproof, man.  Bulletproof.



 The Writing and Current Projects...

Nothing today.  I was visiting a sick friend.



Word counts for Tuesday, Oct 9, 2015...

Fiction = 0
Blog = 375


Monthly totals for October 2015...

Fiction = 288
Blog = 2,262


MANUSCRIPT TOTAL COUNTS...

Alaskan fantasy = 7,310
Missouri horror novel = 3,679



No comments:

Post a Comment